Saturday, August 13, 2011

Recipe Roundup - CREAMY LEMON MERINGUE PIE

This is my favorite pie.  Especially good in the summer but I love it year round.  My Mom always made it for my birthday.  It's a recipe my Grandma in Georgia always made and Dad of course shared the recipe with Mom.  It is easy and a little different than the lemon meringue pie that most people are familiar with but give it a try.  I think you will like it. -Quiltpecan

CREAMY LEMON MERINGUE PIE
3 eggs , separated
1 (14 oz) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 c Real Lemon Reconstituted Lemon Juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest (optional)
1 graham cracker crust
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/3 c sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare graham cracker crust if not using a pre-made shell.  FILLING:  In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks.  Stir in sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and zest.  Pour mixture into prepared graham cracker crust.  MERINGUE:  In small bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy, gradually add sugar, beating until stiff but not dry.  Spread meringue on top of pie.  Be very careful to seal the edge of the crust.  BAKE for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.  Cool.  Chill before serving (I always liked it a bit warm.)  Refrigerate any leftovers. 

Found this cool pic of the recipe on an old label at Recipe Curio's website. Neat huh??  :-)  I noticed it only used 2 eggs but we've always used 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment