Monday, September 26, 2011

Jalapeno Poppers x 3

This recipe is something I've always wanted to try.  I'm sure Sydneykatt will NOT try it.  Her husband and I both love hot & spicy food but not Sydneykatt!  :-)  If you are in with me and Mr S & you like spicy then give this recipe a try.  --Quiltpecan

I got a bunch of jalapeno peppers from a co-worker Friday and fixed some of these up. We ate a few poppers with dinner, I'll share some with my brother & his family, and freeze the rest!  :-)  I made two varieties to keep.  If you are up for spicy and cheesy, give these a try!  Yum Yum!  BTW, If you tailgate, I'm sure these would go over GREAT!

The " X 3 " in the title refers to the variations of this recipe.  :-)  This first recipe I used as "bites" and as a filling for my halved Jalapeno Peppers.  (I doubled b/c I had a large quantity of the peppers and planned on freezing some for later.)  I searched online for recipes and combined what I thought sounded best.  :-)  I used to go straight by the recipe.  Not anymore.  LOL

1.  Jalapeno Bites

1 - 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
8 oz Parmesan cheese (or cheddar, or pepper jack, or mixture of your favorites)
3 T chopped jalapeno peppers (increase if you desire more heat)
2 large egg yolks (or 1 whole egg)
2 cups dry breadcrumbs (Panko crumbs work great or mix both, I also added salt and pepper)
Suggestions of things to add (to your taste and liking), cayenne pepper, minced onion, chili powder, garlic powder, pepper, crumbled bacon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine cheeses, peppers, and egg.  Mix well.  Shape 1/2 Tablespoon at a time into 1/4 inch rounds.  Roll balls in bread crumbs.  (I flattened them out to a flatter coin type shape.  Your preference.  I just think they will be easier to bake & turn.)  Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm

Hints - may need to chill cheese mixture before rolling into balls.  Can freeze and bake at a later time.  If frozen, bake 10 min and turn, then 10 min longer or until golden brown.

VARIATION #2

Take above cheese mixture and stuff in cleaned and de-seeded jalapeno pepper halves.  May need to chill before coating in bread crumbs.  Dip in egg white/milk mixture and roll in bread crumbs.  Allow to dry then coat a 2nd time.  Bake until golden brown.  Can also be frozen and cooked at a later time.

VARIATION #3

Do not coat in bread crumbs but rather wrap stuffed pepper halves in a piece of bacon (secure with toothpick).  Can bake/broil in oven or even better, fix on the grill until bacon is cooked and filling is hot/melted.



These are the stuffed pepper halves that I breaded in Panko/Bread Crumbs and baked in the oven for approx. 20 min.  We ate with club sandwiches for dinner.  Much tastier than the frozen ones I've bought at the grocery.
 Hope you give it a try. 


1 comment:

  1. Let's see who holds on to their gall bladder the longest : ) LOL

    ReplyDelete